“ The first shall be last and the last shall be first.” We do understand the context in which Jesus spoke these words. The parable given, which references this quote, has to do with laborers that entered the vineyard at the 11th hour receiving the same reward as the laborers hired at the beginning of the day and working twelve hours. Those who come in at the last hour will be rewarded just as those who come in at the first hour. However, there is further application to this spiritual truth that must be considered. Especially when coupled with Jesus’ teaching about taking the lowest place at a banquet so that you may be brought higher as opposed to assuming you are to sit at the foremost table and later asked to move to a lesser place of preeminence. It seems that there is an established truth of reverse order operating here. There is a spiritual truth about first things becoming last and last things becoming first. Can this statement be not only a declaration but a prophetic revelation as well?
Let us consider the “first” from the first book in the bible and the first chapter. Verses 26-28:
And God said, Let us make man in our image, after our likeness: and let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over the cattle, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth.
27 So God created man in his own image, in the image of God created he him; male and female created he them.
28 And God blessed them, and God said unto them, Be fruitful, and multiply, and replenish the earth, and subdue it: and have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over every living thing that moveth upon the earth.
Please notice that the first occurrence after YWHW created man and woman was to bless them and give them a directive. The first directive was to insure the propagation of the human race as the Lord intended. “Be fruitful and multiply….” Procreation is a wonderful word giving credence to the idea that we as men and women become co-creators with The Creator. As we obey this first commandment we reproduce after our own kind, as every seed does, and we represent, and we carry, the very image of God.
Now, let us look as the “last” thing. The spiritual truth we are examining is : “…the first shall be last and the last shall be first.” Staying in the book of Genesis, we find in Chapter 18 the following theophany: “And the Lord appeared unto him[Abraham] in the plains of Mamre: and he sat in the tent door in the heat of the day; And he lift up his eyes and looked and lo, three men stood by him: and when he saw them he ran to meet them from the tent door, and bowed himself toward the ground…And the men rose up from thence and looked toward Sodom: and Abraham went with them to bring them on the way. And the Lord said, Shall I hide from Abraham that thing which I do: Seeing that Abraham shall surely become a great and mighty nation, and all the nations of the earth shall be blessed in him?...And the Lord said, Because the cry of Sodom and Gomorrah is great and because their sin is very grievous; I will go down and see whether they have done altogether according to the cry of it, which is come unto me; and if not, I will know. And the men turned their faces thence and went toward Sodom; but Abraham stood yet before the Lord…”
The verses directly following the above passage records the dialogue that Abraham had with the Lord. He bargains with the Lord not to destroy the whole city if there can be found just ten righteous and the Lord agrees to Abrahams conditions.
However, what transpires next leads us to the “last” thing. As the two angels make their way into Sodom, Abraham’s nephew, Lot, meets them at the city gate: “…and Lot seeing them [the two angels] rose up to meet them; and he bowed himself with his face toward the ground. And he said, Behold now, my lords, turn in , I pray you, into your servant’s house and tarry all night and wash your feet and you shall rise up early and go on your ways. And they said, Nay; but we will abide in the street all night. And he pressed upon them greatly; and they turned in unto him and entered into his house; and he made them a feast, and did brake unleavened bread, and they did eat. But before they lay down the men of the city, even the men of Sodom, compassed the house around, both old and young, all the people from every quarter: And they called unto Lot and said unto him Where are the men which came into thee this night? Bring them out unto us that we may know them [bring them out that we may have sex with them, AMP]. And Lot went out the door unto them and shut the door after him. And said, I pray you, brethren , do not so wickedly. …And they said, Stand back. And they said again, This one fellow came in to sojourn and he will needs be a judge: now we will deal worse with thee, than with them. And they pressed sore upon the man, even Lot, and came near to break the door. But the men put forth their hand, and pulled Lot into the house to them and shut the door. And they smote the men that were at the door of the house with blindness, both small and great; so that they wearied themselves to find the door. And the men said unto Lot, Hast thou here any besides son in law and thy sons, and thy daughters, and whatsoever thou hast in the city, bring them out of this place: For we will destroy this place because the cry of them is waxen great before the face of the Lord; and the Lord hath sent us to destroy it. …And when the morning arose, then the angels hastened Lot, saying, Arise, take thy wife and thy two daughters which are here; lest thou be consumed in the iniquity of the city. …Haste thee, escape thither for I cannot do anything till thou be come thither …The sun was risen upon the earth when Lot entered into Zoar. Then the Lord rained upon Sodom and upon Gomorrah brimstone and fire from the Lord out of heaven. And he overthrew those cities, and all the plain, and all the inhabitants of the cities and that which grew upon the ground. ( Genesis Chapter 19)
Pay attention: the final act of rebellion against the Lord by the inhabitants of Sodom was to move against His messengers (Holy Angels) (and Lot) in an attempt to sodomize them. It was this perverse response that sealed the fate of Sodom and Gomorrah.
Now, consider the progressive scale of wickedness as described by Paul in the First Chapter of Romans. Paul begins this discourse by establishing the Gospel as the means of salvation for all that will belief . (Romans 1:16) Then he immediately states the reasons why the wrath of God will be revealed: “…against all ungodliness and unrighteousness of men, who hold the truth in unrighteousness.” Does this sound like our society today surrounding the issue of sexuality? How about this statement? “God is love therefore He approves of all loving, committed relationships whether they be heterosexual or homosexual.” Is that not taking the truth of God’s eternal love and clothing it in unrighteousness?
Today’s headlines in Charisma News looks like this: “President Obama: Bible Supports Transgender Directive.” Our deviant-supporter-in-chief unashamedly states that to obey the “golden rule” is to treat people that are transgender as we want to be treated. Here is another blatant example of holding the truth in unrighteousness. Skewing the Holy Scriptures to support sexual defiance. We are rapidly approaching “the last” thing.
In the same on-line publication, dated June 3, 2016 , a well known “Christian Rock singer” outs himself as a homosexual. Even though he has been married for over eight years and has fathered two children. His mantra of liberation is: “There is absolutely no conflict with accepting who I am (gay) and following Jesus. God wants me to be healthy, authentic, whole integrated and my truest self.” (CharismaNews , online) Are you able to see the holding of truth in unrighteousness?
Reading through the rest of the first Chapter of Romans will bring us to the “last” or the end result of rejecting the absolute, unchangeable truth of God’s Word: “Wherefore God also gave them up to uncleanness through the lusts of their own hearts to dishonor their own bodies between themselves. Who changed the truth of God into a lie and worshipped and served the creature (self) more than the Creator, who is blessed forever. Amen. For this cause God gave them up into vile affections: for even their women did change the natural use into that which is against nature. And likewise also the men, leaving the natural use of the woman, burned in their lust one toward another; men with men working that which is unseemly, and receiving in themselves that recompense of their error which was meet. …Who knowing the judgment of God, that they which commit such things are worthy of death, not only do the same but have pleasure in them that do them.” (verses 24-27, 32)
So now we find ourselves bombarded with legislative mandates to embrace that which the Lord God of the universe calls an abomination. (detestable, disgusting, unlawful, repulsive) (LEVITICUS 18:22) We are being persuaded, pushed, bullied, threatened and finally adjudacted to accept, affirm, celebrate and participate in what the Bible tells us is the “last” thing before judgement falls. It is the very antithesis of the first maandate: “be fruitful and multiply.”
It is no surprise that the enemy would deceive and corrupt that which is uppermost in the plan and purpose of the Almighty. The spirit of anti-christ is absolutely the driving force behind the homosexual agenda. Perverting that which is the divine order all the while calling it “love .”
Remembering our history lessons: Nero fiddled while Rome burned. Our nation is on the brink of destruction socially, militarily, economically, morally and spiritually, but our President is fiddeling with the scriptural order of one man and one woman in holy matrimony. He has focused the whole nation on the “rights” of homosexuals, bi-sexuals, lesbians, transgenders, et. al, while the southern border is a sieve, our economy has tanked, joblessness is at a all time high, our military decimated to below 1940 levels, our allies hate us and our enemies are lining up for more free-bees from Obama. The first has become last and the last has become first.
“Righteousness exalts a nation: but sin is a reproach to any people.” Proverbs 14:34
“When the foundations are being destroyed, what can the righteous do?” Psalms 11:3
Scriptural truths concerning salvation:
1. Matthew 7:13-14 “”Enter through the narrow gate. For wide is the gate and broad is the road that leads to destruction, and many enter through it. But small is the gate and narrow the road that leads to life, and only a few find it.
2. Luke 13:23-25 Someone asked him, “Lord, are only a few people going to be saved?” He said to them. Strive to enter through the narrow door. For many, I tell you, will seek to enter and will not be able. When once the master of the house has risen and shut the door, and you begin to stand outside and to knock at the door, saying, ‘Lord, open to us,’ then he will answer you, ‘I do not know where you come from.’
3. Isaiah 35:8 And a highway will be there; it will be called the Way of Holiness; it will be for those who walk on that Way. The unclean will not journey on it; wicked fools will not go about on it.
4. Matthew 7:21-23 “Not everyone who says to me, ‘Lord, Lord,’ will enter the kingdom of heaven, but the one who does the will of my Father who is in heaven. On that day many will say to me, ‘Lord, Lord, did we not prophesy in your name, and cast out demons in your name, and do many mighty works in your name?’ And then will I declare to them, ‘I never knew you; depart from me, you workers of lawlessness.’
5. Luke 13:26-28 Then you will begin to say, ‘We ate and drank in your presence, and you taught in our streets.’ But he will say, ‘I tell you, I do not know where you come from. Depart from me, all you workers of evil!’ In that place there will be weeping and gnashing of teeth, when you see Abraham and Isaac and Jacob and all the prophets in the kingdom of God but you yourselves cast out.
6. Luke 6:46 “Why do you call me, ‘Lord, Lord,’ and do not do what I say?
7. John 14:23-24 Jesus answered him, “If anyone loves me, he will keep my word, and my Father will love him, and we will come to him and make our home with him. Whoever does not love me does not keep my words. And the word that you hear is not mine but the Father’s who sent me.
8. Mark 4:15-17 Some people are like seed along the path, where the word is sown. As soon as they hear it, Satan comes and takes away the word that was sown in them. Others, like seed sown on rocky places, hear the word and at once receive it with joy. But since they have no root, they last only a short time. When trouble or persecution comes because of the word, they quickly fall away.
9. Matthew 23:28 In the same way, on the outside you appear to people as righteous but on the inside you are full of hypocrisy and wickedness.
10. James 4:4 You adulterous people, don’t you know that friendship with the world means enmity against God? Therefore, anyone who chooses to be a friend of the world becomes an enemy of God.
11. 1 John 3:8-10 The person who lives a sinful life belongs to the devil, because the devil has been committing sin since the beginning. The reason that the Son of God appeared was to destroy what the devil does. Those who have been born from God don’t live sinful lives. What God has said lives in them, and they can’t live sinful lives. They have been born from God. This is the way God’s children are distinguished from the devil’s children. Everyone who doesn’t do what is right or love other believers isn’t God’s child.